Monday, July 14, 2008

i went green for the accessories, part 1

I decided to be more organic. And when I say I decided, what I mean is, I was instructed to go green and for some reason decided to actually do it. As it turns out, high fructose corn syrup is the devil. And it's everywhere. So I'm trying to buy devil-free stuff now. Obviously it's a little sad to REALLY want something, and then have your hopes dashed by the presence of HFCS. This would be a really depressing period in my life, were it not for all the exciting new accessories that are coming with this new lifestyle. I mean, being nice to the environment is great and all, but also, it's fun to get new stuff.

Here's some of my favorite stuff so far:

Magnetic spice containers from Bed, Bath, and BEYOND! :


Ok, it is difficult to tell how amazing these are, but amazing they ARE. I saw them in Julie's house, and immediately fell in love with them, even though I can cook approximately three things. Here's the deal with these things: you fill them, then stick them on the side of your fridge. And then hurrah! Your fridge becomes a cornucopia of organizational delight. Plus, you can see all your spices, which I'm hoping leads to more interesting food and becoming a better cook in general. Although, so far I only have ones for salt, pepper, and garlic salt. So I clearly need to expand my spicy horizons a little bit. However, my love for organizational tools in this case taps into another newfound love: bulk shopping. Buying things in bulk is amazing. Today, I purchased half a pound of red wine vinegar for 38 cents. What is this, 1941? I was so excited. Everything in those little bins is offensively cheap. Being a hippie is awesome. Until I have a craving for Doritos.


Magnetic Spice Tin, $ 1.99 each; Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Assorted spices, approximately 3 cents per pound (more or less), Moscow Co-op.

More accessories, including the free bag I got for buying organic, local beef, to follow.

1 comment:

JM said...

ok, all these things are wonderful, but most wonderful of all is the ansel adams-in-yosemite photo. that's a good one.